Unfortunately, most homeowners do not think about their air conditioning system until it stops working properly. As HVAC contractors, we get it; when your unit operates in a place you don’t see every day, such as the basement or back of the house, it’s difficult to remember to check it regularly. But if you begin associating daylight savings time with HVAC maintenance, you’ll never forget to schedule a tune-up again. Now is the perfect time to call Lenz Heating & Cooling because we are offering a $69.99 special for air conditioner tune-ups.
Professional Preventative Air Conditioner Maintenance
In order to maintain maximum efficiency and peak performance, you should call a professional contractor to service your HVAC unit twice a year. Early spring is the best time to schedule an air conditioner tune-up so you have peace of mind knowing your system is fully functional going into the hot summer months. While we recommend conducting professional preventative maintenance every spring and fall, a tune-up can be scheduled any time of the year.
If you have never had an air conditioner tune-up before, you can expect our professional technicians to:
- inspect all electrical components and tighten or replace parts as needed.
- test for proper airflow and change the air filter if it’s dirty.
- check system functions and safety controls.
- clean and lubricate motors.
- examine and adjust the belt alignment if necessary.
- inspect pumps.
- check, clean, and balance blowers as needed.
- straighten fins and clean the outdoor coil.
- clear and clean obstructions from the inside coil and condensate pans.
- check refrigerant levels and repair any leaks if the level is low.
Keep in mind that many manufacturer warranties become void if you do not have your unit maintenanced by a professional once or twice a year. In addition to remaining in compliance with the warranty, preventative maintenance actually saves you money. Air conditioner maintenance plans ensure your unit is operating efficiently, which reduces your energy bills, and prevents major equipment breakdowns by addressing minor problems before they become expensive repairs.
At-home Preventative Air Conditioner Maintenance
In between your scheduled visits with an HVAC contractor there are things you can do at home to make sure your air conditioner is performing optimally. Please remember to disconnect the electricity to the air conditioner before beginning any work.
- Clean or replace the air filter once a month or according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clear the outdoor condensing unit of any leaves, sticks, or debris.
- Rinse the compressor with a garden hose. (Remember the electricity must be turned off!)
- Check the fan belt tension and hose connections for leaks or cracks.
The benefits of regular air conditioner maintenance are incredible. By following this simple checklist, you can extend the life of your unit, increase energy efficiency, prevent premature system breakdowns, improve system performance, and maintain safe operation.
If you can’t remember the last time you had a professional take a look at your air conditioner, call Lenz Heating & Cooling and take advantage of our special offer on air conditioner tune-ups. We proudly serve the Des Moines area including West Des Moines and Winterset.