Has your air conditioner received its annual tune up? It’s not too late to schedule an a/c maintenance appointment with your favorite Des Moines HVAC contractor. The Des Moines area has been fortunate this past week, experiencing unseasonably cool temperatures. So if you haven’t called a Lenz Heating & Cooling professional to perform a full-service air conditioner tune up on your cooling system, now is the perfect time to schedule an appointment.
Why Should You Hire an HVAC Contractor for Your Air Conditioner Tune Up?
Preventative maintenance and cleanliness are the two most important factors when it comes to making sure your air conditioner operates safely and efficiently. For the most comprehensive air conditioning services, it’s best to have a trained technician perform a complete air conditioning tune up. Our experienced heating and cooling professionals thoroughly clean and inspect your air conditioner unit for signs of wear, conducting preventative maintenance as needed to save you money on costly a/c repairs in the future. With a special cleaning solution, our technicians clean the unit and its parts, including the motor and coils, to keep the equipment in the best possible condition. Meticulous cleaning is important for your air conditioner because dirt build-up weighs down the moving parts, causing them unnecessary strain and to run less efficiently. Regular a/c tune ups are an essential, low-cost way to extend the lifespan of your unit and to avoid expensive, inconvenient repairs or replacements.
What Is Included in a Residential Air Conditioner Tune Up?
When you schedule your tune-up appointment, you can expect our skilled team to perform the following air conditioning services:
- Clean the coils and blower components: Dirt and grime restrict airflow, making your unit run longer to cool your home and reducing efficiency by as much as 20%.
- Check refrigerant levels: If your central air conditioning unit has too much or too little refrigerant, your cooling system will be less efficient. Our technicians will adjust the levels as necessary during the air conditioner tune up.
- Tighten the connections: To keep your heating and cooling system safe and functioning properly, we’ll tighten the electrical connections and check the voltage and current.
- Lubricate moving parts: Improper lubrication causes friction and therefore increases the amount of electricity your air conditioner uses.
- Inspect the condensate drain: The Lenz team will make sure your drain is not clogged to maintain proper humidity levels in your home and to eliminate the potential for water damage.
- Adjust thermostat settings: To ensure your home maintains optimal comfort, our HVAC professionals will calibrate your thermostat so that it responds to temperature changes and operates at maximum efficiency.
- Inspect all components: All air conditioner parts and components will be carefully inspected for wear and tear to address any potential problems early before they turn into major repairs.
- Test the controls: Our job is not complete until our technicians make sure the cooling cycle starts, operates, and turns off properly.
What Can I Do in Between Tune Ups?
The most important task a homeowner can do to maintain the efficiency and long-term functionality of the air conditioner unit is to regularly check the filter and replace it if necessary. How frequently the air filter needs to be replaced depends on the type of filter you use, your environment, and your health needs or preferences. Regardless of how often the air filter should be changed, we recommend checking the filter at least once a month. A dirty filter restricts airflow, thereby reducing the equipment’s efficiency and can ultimately lead to the system’s premature failure. As soon as the air filter looks dirty, it should be changed. If you are unsure how to replace the air filter, one of our HVAC technicians would be happy to help! Another simple task homeowners can do to protect their air conditioner is to keep the space around the unit free from grass clippings, plants, and debris.
The benefits of regular air conditioning service, including tune ups and at-home maintenance, are incredible. Improved energy efficiency, lower heating and cooling bills, fewer repairs, longer equipment life, and better health and safety in your home are what homeowners can enjoy when their air conditioner is properly maintained. The summer heat has yet to strike the Des Moines area, so now is the perfect time to schedule your a/c tune up. Call the professionals at Lenz Heating & Cooling while we still have openings for maintenance appointments. When the weather heats up this summer, so does our schedule, so give us a call today!